Monday, August 3, 2009

Forty-Sixth Post

OK, so a lot of news.

First off Mom is now in a nursing home in Redmond, which will make the commute easier and eliminate the $7 parking per day that Harborview put on me.

The building is moderately nice, but the staff seem to be really nice and really enjoy taking care of Mom. Also you can bring in animals there so Mom was enjoying that. They also have a little courtyard that you can go into with some flowers so we wheeled Mom out there in her cardiac chair. It looked like all her IV's were gone now too, which was cool.

Mom was talking about how she gets bored there being in her bed all day, so I think I will take a movie in with some friends and watch it with her, also so my friends can see her again.

We found out some more about the other driver today. Evidentially she is a premed major at Seattle University, and was in fact drunk on the night of the accident. The toxicology report says that she was also on some prescription drugs, whether they were for recreational drug use or medications I don't know. She could go to jail for up to 10 years though. I guess really I would like her to go to jail for long enough for her to learn her lesson, but not long enough to ruin her life. We don't need two ruined lives here. I guess maybe 5 years in jail and also her having to pay for everything that our insurance doesn't cover, seeing as she was also uninsured. And the guilt. If the doctors hadn't saved my mom, or if she had been anywhere else in the world practically, Mom would have died, and it would have been her fault. As it is Mom is having to go through way more than anyone should. She would have been the last person who deserved it.

They're also considering making her read me and my dad's blogs. When you read this, know that you have singlehandedly done a huge amount of damage to Mom and to everyone who cares about her. And it is all on your shoulders.

2 comments:

  1. I just heard about the accident. Allyn,Steve and Scott I am so sorry you have had to go through this. Being an ICU nurse myself I know how hard this is on ALL of you. Take it one day at a time. You have already come so far. Your tenacity and strength will move you forward Allyn. Scott and Steve,your love and encouragement is an indescribable support. Take it one day at a time...Remember to care for yourselves. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.All my love and best wishes,
    Anne Boehm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely!!

    The drunk driver should have to read every single post. Every day. Jail time is actually too easy, IMHO. She needs to witness 1st hand the impact her actions have had on so many people and especially your family and mom. I'd like to see her have to go to the hospital every day and be briefed by the doctors and nurses on every single detail of your mom's recovery and daily battle.

    I am so sorry for your mom. Today I just heard another emergency surgery may be required! UNREAL!!!

    She will be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete