Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Twenty-Fifth Post

Where to begin?

I saw Mom last night from 9:00pm to 12 midnight. During the first fifteen minutes, the TV was on but Mom was asleep so I held her hand and just sat with her. After a while, Mom started coughing a little bit and woke up. She realized I was there and smiled. I told her that she was OK and that she was at Harborview and she seemed OK with the information. Then I started telling her about her accident and she woke up and seemed much more aware and interested.

I told her all about the accident and she took everything in. She would ask questions like "Friends?" and "How?" to find out more about her accident and if there was anyone in the car and so on. We talked for close to 3 hours before I left. The point is that Mom was completely with it it seemed and she was only hindered by her physical inability to speak much, not her mental abilities.

While I told her about the accident, Mom repeatedly said "Wow" and "Oh" and "How embarrassing." I told her the accident wasn't her fault and she had nothing to be embarrassed about, but I think she may just be embarrassed that her friends saw her in a hospital gown without her knowledge.

Today she was transferred from floor 9 ICU to floor 7 normal care. I saw her for five hours and read some of my blog to her today. My Dad and I are a little concerned about the quality of care on that floor and are seeing if we can get her moved to Overlake now. That would also make it easier for us to see her.

2 comments:

  1. It is very good to read the good news of your mothers recovery. As an Ex EMT I echo your thoughts of seeking to move her into a different facility. Harborview is a wonderful place for trauma care, but they are not staffed nor properly equipt to handle the day to day care of recovering patients. If you and your father have the time go see Overlake and ask about a tour of the area your mother would be moved to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott I have been praying for your mom and keeping up on your blog. Wonderful news to read about her improvement.
    Tammy Monson (aka Mrs. Monson from TBCS days)

    ReplyDelete