Sunday, June 21, 2009

Twenty-Third Post

Just got back from the hospital, and it is true, Mom is awake and no longer in a vegetative state.

The ventilator is also out, and she is down to one IV and a feeding tube. She is on a little bit of pure oxygen though in the form of a nose plug.

While I was there I held Mom's hand and she smiled at me, trying to form words.

After a while, hey gave her some pain medications and changed the bandage on her left leg. Though it looked incredibly painful and large, it was interesting to see actual layers of tissue and how her leg is healing, being a student of biology.

They also turned her on to her side to help drain her lungs.

Unfortunately, at this point Mom seemed to be in a lot of pain. She kept touching the tubes on her face and her cathoder, and grasping her ribs and her neck brace. She repeatedly asked us to "hurry" and "please, help me." At one point she even said "come on guys, help me."

I am happy she is awake, especially given the small chances they gave her of waking up. However it was akin to watching her being tortured to see her in such pain. She was already on the max dose of main medications.

I think that she was suffering psychological trauma. This was the first time she had been awake since the accident, and I think she was flashing back to the scene of the accident. My dad and I both think she was back at the scene and talking to the paramedics.

In a few days I think she will be more orientated with her surroundings and be in less pain and able to talk more. Evidently patients never remember their time in the ICU anyway if that is any help to her.

A mixed blessing, but a blessing still.

6 comments:

  1. Scott,
    Ellen and I both wish we could have been there today with you and your Mom and Dad. It really must have been a bittersweet experience to see and hear Allyn as she formed sentences for the first time since the accident -- and yet she was obviously in a lot of pain that you guys could not do anything about.
    Stay strong and hopeful, Scott. We all pray that Allyn will emerge whole once again after this difficult period.
    Uncle Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a fighter your mom is and an inspiration to us all. We anxiously await your next post and news of her continuing recovery. Thanks for keeping your extended Overlake family connected.

    The Reynolds Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not be happier to hear that your mom is awake and actually forming words. I was crushed when i head that she only had a 55% chance of waking up! I can't wait to talk to her again soon enough! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Scott--
    It's great to hear that your mom is doing much better and that she has fought hard against not fantastic odds. I hope that in the days to come she can feel a bit more comfortable. If it's any consolation, I sort of understand what you mean and that it is really hard to watch your mom be in so much pain. When my mom ripped her hamstring from her pelvic bone (which admittedly put her in a far less critical state than your mom's crash, but the idea is still there), watching her in pain before and after the surgery was difficult, but, if it's any consolation, it did get better over time as I saw mom start improving. I guess what I'm trying to say is hang in there, it should get better. Your mom sounds like a trooper so I'm praying everything will be okay in the end! =]

    --Philip Falco

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scott, I dont know you or your mom, but I am a Bear Creek teacher and mom. Please know that we are keeping your mom and your whole family lifted up in prayer. I read your blog every day, and it is an encouragement. I can't imagine the roller coaster you are on, but you are in our prayers daily.
    Kellie Anderson

    ReplyDelete